Monday, December 6, 2010

Christmas Cheer


I'm sort of imagining a whole series of posts on Christmas Cheer, because I'd really like to get as much of it as possible in our lives right now. But, we'll start with what we have so far:


Last weekend, it started snowing. It has snowed every day for over a week. This, combined with the sudden appearance of December(!), meant that getting a Christmas tree was at the top of my list this weekend (followed closely by decorating the tree, sipping drinks by the tree, staring at the tree...you get the idea).

All of those things happened, by the way. This is my first fake tree, and while I miss the smell of a real one, I do love that it was lightweight and easy to pick up and assemble. Plus, the Christmas Shop (inexplicably open all year) has scented pine cones that my friend Britt swears will mimic the scent exactly. Finally, please look closely at our tree topper. Yes, that is a Highland cow wearing a tartan cap (courtesy of Ruthie). Coincidentally, I just picked up some minced Highland cow meat this weekend for meatballs and chili. Our tree topper is tasty.


After a weekend of Christmas cheer, including the traditional drinking Bailey's while decorating the tree, I was afraid today would be a little bit jarring. Fortunately, we woke up to another heavy snowfall and all my 'out of the house' commitments were canceled. Look how happy we are to hang out with our tree!


We're looking forward to lots of thesis work by the tree over the next few weeks (or until Matt forces me to take it down), as well as a few Christmas gatherings. Personally, I'm crossing my fingers for the snow to stick around.

1 comment:

  1. I miss snow and cold weather! It doesn't feel like Christmas when there are palm trees everywhere! I need to move to Scotland.

    ReplyDelete