Monday, November 29, 2010

Cheese + Beans + Toast = Awesome


College students in the States might survive on Top Ramen, but I have recently discovered the cheap meal of poor students over here. Behold, cheesy beans on toast! While beans on toast is a common breakfast option, I hadn't seen it with cheese before, but during a lunch expedition this weekend it popped up on the menu. I'll order anything with the word "cheesy" at the start, so I endured the mocking of my British/Scottish companions ("why would you order it in a restaurant? It's definitely a make at home meal!" and "just because I'm buying you lunch doesn't mean you have to order the cheapest thing on the menu") and went for it.

The key here is that British baked beans are NOT like American ones (an unfortunate lesson learned last year on the 4th of July). They are tomato based, and sort of bland. This, however, makes them ideal as a toast topping, and adding cheese kicks this over the edge into seriously awesome. It might not be very healthy (Hannah, I promise to eat some vegetables too), but it is dirt cheap and delicious - two things that define our meal planning during these crazy last few weeks of the term. Plus, it is perfect for any meal of the day and *cough* excellent after late nights at the pub.

3 comments:

  1. oh my god, yes...please eat some vegetables!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are turning into my British office mates. Do you drink PG Tips yet? It's the best.

    ReplyDelete